Nov. is NaNoWriMo
Are you ready for National Novel Writing Month? Over the years thousands of regular folks all over the world have successfully started and finished a novel in November . Ever hear of Water for Elephants? Sara Gruen wrote it for NaNoWriMo. Even if you don’t finish, there can still be benefits. Ann Leckie didn’t complete her book during NaNoWriMo, but her outline became Ancillary Justice, winner of both the Hugo and the Nebula awards this year.
Inspired? Curious? Check out the NaNoWriMo website. You can sign up and use various tools they provide to get organized and inspired.
The Library can help you too. At the bottom of this page are some books we own that might help you get ready. We’ve divided them into three categories: How to; Famous Authors Pontificating about Writing; and Booze: Inhibitor or Inspiration?. Once NaNoWriMo rolls around, we’ll put them on display opposite the Front Desk.
If there is a desire, we’ll organize meet ups here at the Library where participants can gather to commiserate with fellow novelists. We’ve even enabled comments on this page, so you can communicate here. If you think a meet up would be useful, let us know by commenting here or by emailing Librarian Liam Hegarty firstname.lastname@example.org.
- How to write a damn good thriller : a step-by-step guide for novelists and screenwriters / Frey, James N.
- The 4 a.m. breakthrough : unconventional writing exercises that transform your fiction / Kiteley, Brian.
- How not to write a novel : 200 classic mistakes and how to avoid them–a misstep-by-misstep guide / Mittelmark, Howard.
- No plot? No problem! : a low-stress, high-velocity guide to writing a novel in 30 days / Baty, Chris.
- Writing a novel / Watts, Nigel.
- The modern library writer’s workshop : a guide to the craft of fiction / Koch, Stephen, 1941-
- Writing from the inside out : transforming your psychological blocks to release the writer within / Palumbo, Dennis, 1951-
- Fiction writer’s brainstormer / Smith, James V., 1946-
- How to grow a novel : the most common mistakes writers make and how to overcome them / Stein, Sol.
- You can write a mystery / Roberts, Gillian, 1939-
- The Marshall plan for novel writing : a 16-step program guaranteed to take you from idea to completed manuscript / Marshall, Evan, 1956-
- Writing the private eye novel : a handbook
- Writing romances
- Writing mysteries : a handbook
- The Craft of science fiction : a symposium on writing science fiction and science fantasy
Famous Writers Pontificating About Writing
- The literary ladies’ guide to the writing life : inspiration and advice from celebrated women authors who paved the way / Atlas, Nava.
- Thirteen ways of looking at the novel / Smiley, Jane.
- From where you dream : the process of writing fiction / Robert Olen Butler ; edited, with an introduction by Janet Burroway / Butler, Robert Olen.
- The spooky art : thoughts on writing / Mailer, Norman.
- On writing / Welty, Eudora, 1909-2001.
- Consciousness and the novel : connected essays / Lodge, David, 1935-
- On teaching and writing fiction / Stegner, Wallace, 1909-1993
- Negotiating with the dead : a writer on writing / Atwood, Margaret, 1939-
- Letters to a young novelist / Vargas Llosa, Mario, 1936-
- The practice of writing / Lodge, David, 1935-
- Reading and writing / Davies, Robertson, 1913-1995.
- Zen in the art of writing / Bradbury, Ray, 1920-2012
- The writing of fiction / Wharton, Edith, 1862-1937.
Booze: Inhibitor or Inspiration?
- The trip to Echo Spring : on writers and drinking / Laing, Olivia.
- The thirsty muse : alcohol and the American writer / Dardis, Tom.
- Alcohol and the writer / Goodwin, Donald W.
- Alcoholics Anonymous : the story of how many thousands of men and women have recovered from alcoholism.