This page is your gateway to thousands of magazine articles and hundreds of reference books available over the internet for use in your home. If, however, you want to actually hold a magazine in your hands, here is the list of periodicals we have at the Library. If you have a Larchmont card and want to look at an entire magazine online, use Zinio to access our 40+ subscriptions.
A note about access: If you are within the warm, gentle embrace of New York State, many of these databases don’t require anything special to search them. Others may need just a card number from any Westchester County public library. Others require a Larchmont Public Library card number and are marked with an . If you are travelling outside the Empire State, try using the number from your New York Driver’s License or Non-driver Photo ID.
Online resources grouped by type
- Infotrac Newsstand– full text of thousands of national and international newspapers including the New York Times and the Financial Times.
- New York State Newspapers – Some of the newspapers published in New York State.
- Gannett Newsstand Complete (ProQuest) – Contains over 85 Gannett newspapers, including the Journal News.
- National Newspaper Index – Indexes New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Christian Science Monitor, Los Angeles Times & The Washington Post. Note: This does not contain the full text of the articles.
Magazines and Serials
General OneFile – Provides access to thousands of articles from hundreds of magazines and journals. More for the regular person.
Academic OneFile – Similar to General OneFile, but for the specialist or the student.
Health Reference Center – Academic gives access to hundreds of medical publications, both popular and scholarly.
As of January 2014, the Westchester Library System no longer subscribes to Lexis-Nexis.
Books you’d find in any Reference Room anywhere.
Job Search and Learning Aids
- Driving-Tests.org – In partnership with Driving-Tests.org, the Westchester Library System offers free New York State Driver Permit practice tests and driver handbooks. Automobile, motorcycle and commercial handbooks and practice tests are available.
- Learning Express Library – Touch up your Microsoft Office skills. Learn Dreamweaver. Prepare for exams ranging from the TASC (which replaced the GED in New York), to Civil Service, to the MCAT and more. Also includes the Job and Career Accelerator, a comprehensive online job search system.
- Lynda.com – Tutorials on all things technological: ranging from Office to Openoffice to Garageband to Quickbooks to AutoCAD.
- Mángo Languages – interactive online language learning. Learn up to 78 different languages including Yiddish, Irish and Kazakh. Also has English lessons geared towards native speakers of 21 different languages. Works best if you have a microphone.
- University of Fashion – Brings together the best fashion industry professionals to create lessons that inspire and educate students, teachers, home sewers and the fashion curious.
Resources for Children
- Grolier – Encyclopedias and more for all ages
- Tumblebooks – An online collection of animated, talking picture books, chapter books, games, and more.
- Elibrary Elementary – Look for books, magazines and more, all tailored for the younger audience. Covers a wide variety of topics.
- Kids InfoBits. Grades K-5. Complete with an engaging, developmentally appropriate graphic interface, reference content and magazines for elementary students, Kids InfoBits addresses the way kids learn and conduct research.
Don’t forget to check out the online resources on the Children’s pages.
Online Resources Grouped by Subject
Arts & Literature
NoveList Plus – Reader-focused features such as reading recommendations, series information, book reviews, book jackets, and more. For children check out NoveList K-8 Plus.
Gale Virtual Reference Library – Hundreds of reference books, including Novels for Students, Encyclopedia of World Biography, etc.
General OneFile and Academic OneFile are a good place to look for articles.
- Encyclopedia of World Biography – Available through the GVRL, this is a multicultural biographical source that covers notable individuals from every part of the world and from all time periods who have made significant contributions to human culture.
- Complete Dictionary of Scientific Biography – Available through the GVRL, this 27 volume set provides information on the history of science through articles on the professional lives of scientists. All periods of science from classical antiquity to modern times are represented.
Business & Law
- Morningstar Investment Research Center – At–home Access– This replaces our subscription to the print publication, Morningstar Mutual Funds, which will no longer exist by the end of 2012. The Research Center covers much more than mutual funds: providing research on stocks, funds, ETFs; articles and videos on market news; as well as investment tutorials.
- Business Insights: Essentials – Research and compare companies and industries using industry rankings, company profiles, market share data, investment reports, charts, graphs, and more.
- Major Acts of Congress – Available through the GVRL, in 262 entries, this 3-vol. set examines landmark pieces of legislation, explaining the historical factors that led to the proposal of each act, looking at the adoption process and assessing each act’s impact on American life. learn more
- Ancestry Plus – Includes U.S. Federal census, American genealogical biographical index, immigration list index and more. Available in the library only. (For in-library access to this database click here)
Important service announcement re FamilySearch.org microfilms – It appears we will not have room for our microfilm reader/printer in the Village Center during the Library’s renovation. Therefore we have suspended the delivery of microfilms to us until early summer 2016 when the project will be completed. If we discover a way to cram the machine in there somehow, we will do so and post that fact here and on our Renovation web page.
General OneFile and Academic OneFile are good sources of scholarly and popular historical writing.