Timetable (sorta) for relocation to Village Center
On Tuesday, December 8, we will begin the transition over to our temporary digs for the duration of the construction for the Transforming for Tomorrow project. Our aim is to complete the move as quickly as possible while retaining the flexibility to do it right. Therefore we are not going to promise something unless we are pretty sure we can keep that promise. See Some Definites at the bottom of this page to see what services we will be offering and other information we are sure of.
What will happen on Dec. 8?
- The entire Library, except for the Burchell Children’s Room, will be closed to the public and will remain so until construction is finished sometime in the Summer.
- The Burchell Children’s Room will open as normal.
- All holds waiting for pick up will be moved to the Village Center and can be checked out there using a temporary wireless system borrowed from the Westchester Library System. We expect this will be done in time for our regular open at 9am, but you should give us until 10am or so, just to be safe.
- All stacks will be closed so we will not be able to pull books and set them aside for you.
- Internet, remote printing and the like will not be available. Remote printing is available at the New Rochelle Public Library and the Mamaroneck Public Library.
- Wifi may be available outside the building, but it is December after all.
After the 8th?
- We are moving existing shelving into the Village Center. Once the items currently on those shelves are readied for storage, we’ll dismantle the shelves and reassemble them in the Village Center. These are for our new items.
- Our older titles will not be available during the renovation but you can have other libraries’ copies delivered here by placing a hold via the Catalog. If you need assistance Reference will always be ready to help you at 834-2281 x. 3 or email@example.com.
- We will move three Internet Terminals to the Village Center as well as necessary staff computers. Wiring constraints prevents us from having more. Printing will be unavailable until the printer/copier is moved.
- We will open the Village Center as soon as we can safely do so, even if not everything is ready.
- The Burchell Children’s Room is unaffected by the renovation. It will maintain its regular hours and continue its regular programming.
- New and select titles from the Teen collection will be moved to the Burchell Children’s Room.
- If we’ve announced a program, it will go forward as announced, weather permitting.
- We are moving all our new Adult material to the Village Center. This includes books (fiction and nonfiction), cds, dvds, audiobooks and current issues of our magazines. Space and time permitting, we may move some select (i.e. popular) but older titles as well.
- There will be fewer public internet terminals and, depending on how things work out, these machines may have stricter time restrictions.
- You will be able to print from the Internet machines and remotely once the printer copier is moved. This is more complicated task than you think, so we do not have a date for when this service will become available.
- There will be wifi.
- Reference Services will be uninterupted although at first you may have to call, 834-2281 x. 3, or email firstname.lastname@example.org to reach a librarian.
- You will always be able to pick up holds (except for maybe a little while on the morning of the 8th).
- You will always be able to return items, either at the Children’s Room or at a book drop located near the Burchell Children’s Room entrance on the south side of the Building.
- At some point, chaos will reign. We apologize for that. We trust the good citizens of the Village of Larchmont and the Unincorporated Town of Mamaroneck will bear up with their usual good cheer and fortitude.