Armchair Travel- Get Out while Staying In
We know that the idea of traveling seems a bit daunting at the moment. While we are confined to our homes, however, we are not limited to only admire the things inside. There is a virtual world, brimming with online adventures, waiting to be explored. We have compiled a short list below of everything from animal live cams to fireworks shows and walking tours around the globe. Take a peek and get traveling!
- Want to check in on and watch amazing animals live from your living room? There are some really stellar animal live cams set up throughout the country (and the world) where you can tune in to watch animals in action! We recommend the Great Horned Owl Cam streaming from the International Owl Center in Minnesota and the Tembe Elephant Park streaming live from different parts of Africa.
- Calling all flower fanatics! Have you ever heard of a super bloom? A super bloom is an above average burst of blooming flowers. The plant frenzy, which typically takes over areas of Central and Southern California, is the result of large amounts of rain and mountain snow. The most common plant to cover fields throughout the Golden State is the California poppy and you’re in luck- the Antelope Valley California Poppy Reserve has a live stream page so you can watch the growth process in real time!
- Whether you’re young or old, an avid Disney fan or not, we can all agree that watching fireworks is pretty fun. Walt Disney World Resort’s Magic Kingdom, the “Happily Ever After” nighttime show is one of the most beloved experiences at the park. Thanks to a new video on the Disney Parks YouTube Channel, you can now enjoy the show in its entirety from the comfort of your couch. Bring the kids!
- Have you ever wondered what it would look and sound like to walk down a busy street in London or France? One of our librarians shared a very cool YouTube channel with us called Watched Walker. Join Paul, the ‘Watched Walker,’ as he explores popular cities around the world. You will experience cities as if you were actually there with virtual walking tours – see the sights and hear the sounds.
- You might not physically make it to the Louvre in Paris this year but you can visit the famous museum online! The best part about this digital experience are the virtual tours which transport you directly into different halls of the museum where you can view things up close.