Spearheaded by the Larchmont and Mamaroneck Public Libraries, “One Book – One Community” seeks to unite us through reading and discussing a single book. The year’s title is The Boys in the Boat: nine Americans and their quest for gold at the 1936 Olympics, by Daniel James Brown. Copies of the book are available now at the Libraries. For further details about the events listed below see each Library’s web page.
Calendar of Events
- Monday, April 4 at 7pm – Larchmont Public Library, Michael P. Coords Activity Room – Book Discussion led by Catherine Wald. Co-sponsored by The Woman’s Club of Larchmont.
- Friday, April 8 at 5:30pm – Larchmont Yacht Club – Meet 2012 Olympic Rowing Gold Medalist Esther Lofgren, and learn what it takes to bring home the gold. Reception at 5:30pm. Presentation begins at 6:00pm. Cash bar. Space is limited so advance reservations are required. Make your reservation online or call the Larchmont Library Reference Desk at 834-2281. Sponsored by the Friends of the Larchmont Public Library.
- Monday, April 11 at 6pm – Mamaroneck Public Library – TEENS AND THE BOYS IN THE BOAT. Led by the Teen Librarian from the Mamaroneck Public Library, the program begins with a brief book talk and discussion of the young readers adaptation of The Boys in the Boat, followed by a presentation from members of Row America Rye, the Pelham Community Rowing Association and Sandy Killen, a former US national team competitor and coach. There will be a Q&A about the sport over recent decades and the current opportunities for young people interested in participating in Crew Rowing today. Sponsored by the Friends of the Mamaroneck Public Library. For details, contact Teen Librarian, Ellen McTyre at 914-630-5875.
- Thursday, April 14 at 12:15pm – Harrison/Mamaroneck Rotary Luncheon at Emilio’s in Harrison – The Athletic Directors from Harrison, Mamaroneck and Rye Neck School Districts will discuss how participation in team sports develops leadership skills. The presentation and discussion will draw from principles described in The Boys in the Boat. Luncheon fee: $26 per person. RSVP to Mamaroneck Public Library Director, Susan Riley, at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Saturday, April 16 at 2pm – Mamaroneck Public Library – Olympic Panel Discussion – The Mamaroneck Public Library will host a panel discussion moderated by NBC Sports Commentator, Jimmy Roberts. The panel will include Olympians Cristina Teuscher, Rick Carey, Raoul Rodriguez and Coach John Collins from the Badger Swim Club. The panel will describe their Olympic experiences as they relate to The Boys in the Boat. For details, contact Library Director, Susan Riley, at:email@example.com.
- Tuesday, April 19 at 7:45am – Higher Education for Low-Income Students. The Larchmont – Mamaroneck Local Summit will host a program at the Nautilus Diner in Mamaroneck on the topic of higher education for low-income students including athletic opportunities. There is an $8 fee, which includes breakfast. For details, contact Elaine Chapnick: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wednesday, April 20 at 2pm – Mamaroneck Public Library Book Group is joined by At Home on the Sound for a book discussion moderated by librarians Susan Riley & Lori Friedli. No registration required. For details, contact Library Director, Susan Riley, at: email@example.com.
- Thursday, April 21 6:30pm – Larchmont Public Library, Village Center. Try it yourself – Join champion rowers Molly Colombo, Benita Douglas and their coach, Dmitri Vlasov at the Larchmont Public Library, as they demonstrate what competition rowing is like. You’ll have the opportunity to give rowing a try yourself! No registration required.
- Tuesday, April 26 and Thursday April 28 at 10am – Tour of the Derektor Shipbuilding Facility – Derektor’s in Mamaroneck will open its doors for a tour of its shipbuilding plant. Strictly limited to 20 people, so advanced registration is required. For details and to register contact the Reference Department of the Mamaroneck Public Library at 914-630-5888.
- Wednesday, April 27 beginning at 10am – Mamaroneck Public Library – All day Olympic Film Marathon – No registration required. The Mamaroneck Public Library will host an all day film marathon featuring movies about the Olympics and Olympic Athletes. The films scheduled throughout the day:
- 10:30 – Chariots of Fire
- 12:30 – Without Limits
- 2:30 – Rowing Through
- 4:30 – Going for Gold
- 6pm – The Triumph of the Will
- On display in the gallery at the Mamaroneck Public Library is Olympic Moments, an exhibit of photography by Don Emmert. The exhibit includes photos of sailing events primarily from the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, China, photos from the America’s Cup and Tall Ships in New York Harbor. Since 1985, Don Emmert is the New York Bureau Chief at Agence France-Press. For details, contact Library Director, Susan Riley, at: firstname.lastname@example.org